Director of Strategic Initiatives
XY Planning Network (XYPN) is the leading organization for fee-for-service financial advisors who want to serve Gen X and Gen Y clients, providing comprehensive financial planning services for a monthly subscription fee without product sales or asset minimums. The Network offers a virtual community for new and established financial advisors who want to serve a younger clientele and provides its members compliance support services, marketing support, business tools and templates, and a wide range of technology solutions.
XYPN was nationally recognized as one of The 346 Best Places to Work in 2019 by Inc. magazine. In addition, we have earned accolades in 2018, 2019, and 2020 as one of the Fastest-Growing Private Companies in Montana and in the US by Inc. magazine. This is an opportunity to join a rapidly growing company that is reshaping the financial services industry for the better.
About the Position:
As XYPN continues to grow, we have key initiatives that will impact the future of our organization, and their success requires focused and experienced leadership. The Director of Strategic Initiatives will fully own these initiatives and provide the unwavering leadership that will take them from ideation to unveiling. These initiatives are typically focused on building new service lines that fit our strategic roadmap, a form of internal “intrapreneurship.” In this position, we expect you to lead multiple initiatives that will last two to three years each; when the service line you build is ready for a new leader to take over and scale, you will then shift your focus to the next strategic initiative within the organization.
This position will work directly with our CEO, executive team, and team members from across the organization to coordinate these robust intrapreneurial endeavors. The right person for this role has an entrepreneurial drive but prefers to work with an established organization’s resources. You’ll remain comfortable building from zero in an area you may know practically nothing about. Prior examples of strategic initiatives or new service lines include: building an accounting practice (XY Tax Solutions), a technology team and several technology applications (XY Archive & XY Portal), a compliance department (XY Compliance), and more.
This is a “builder” position and is best suited for someone who wants the challenge of building substantial initiatives every few years from the ground up. Please note that this contrasts with someone looking to optimize and scale an existing team, as that’s who we will bring in after two to three years to manage the day-to-day of what you have built—you’ll be busy working on your next initiative within the organization.
What You’ll Be Doing:
- Building a program or service line from scratch. This involves market research, interviewing ideal clients and stakeholders, selecting technology, hiring a team, determining pricing, launching alpha and beta versions, and iterating until the initiative is ready to be scaled
- Define vision, strategies, and tactics to accomplish the overarching goals of the initiative as determined by the executive team
- Define project and program scope, objectives, and team/management structure
- Regularly report project plan updates to the executive team and the board of directors
- When the executive team is considering various options for the next major initiatives, you will oversee market analysis, research competitors, find value gaps in the market, and make recommendations for the area of next focus
Start Date: Immediately
Status: Full-time (40-45 hours/week)
Location: Bozeman, MT(ability to work virtually until coronavirus restrictions are lifted and we reopen our office)
Direct Reports: Yes—will hire team based on project needs
Department: Strategic Initiatives
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary range: $89,412 – $119,310
- Please note that compensation will be offered based on experience in a similar role and the trust and accountability the executive team has in your ability to execute. Our compensation is based on objective metrics and is not negotiable as part of the hiring process.
- Equity Program : All team members at XYPN are owners! We annually contribute an equivalent of 8% of your compensation into our ESOP as part your benefit
- Unlimited vacation days to maintain work-life harmony (we require that you take a minimum of 3 weeks of vacation per year)
- 8 paid holidays when the office is closed
- 401(k) with match; you put in 6% and we put in 4.5%
- 12 weeks of paid maternity/paternity leave for the birth or adoption of a child
- Health insurance w/employer contribution
- Dental, Vision, Voluntary Life and AD&D, and Accident insurance options
- Employer paid Life and AD&D insurance
- Employer paid Long Term Disability coverage
- $600/year to cover the cost of working with a financial planner, plus up to $500 toward the upfront fee
- $250/quarter to spend on yourself specific to our core value of “Be Well Being You”
- $500 donated to a non-profit organization of your choice when you volunteer 40 hours within the calendar year
- $2,000/year available in Professional Development Funds
- A sabbatical program that includes a cash bonus and extra time off at 5, 10, and 15 years
- Subsidized employer-sponsored childcare through our internal child care program
- $5,000 relocation package available to those moving to Bozeman, MT
- Company-owned laptop computer provided
- Please see our Policies and Procedures Manual to learn more about our company and benefit offerings
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Legally authorized to live and work in USA.
- 7+ years of experience in a role that included building and launching new initiatives/programs
- You’re never one to shy away from a challenge and you tackle problems analytically, strategically, and head-on; you don’t just seek solutions—you tenaciously create them
- Your communication skills are top-tier and enable you to communicate effectively about many moving parts with many corresponding teammates
- You work under tight deadlines without breaking a sweat or stress-scrolling social media
- Working in a new, fast-paced environment with a lot of unknowns gives you energy and excitement, not anxiety
- You have excellent time management and organizational skills with an aptitude for prioritizing; you get sh!t done when it needs to be, and even before
- A chameleon has nothing on you—you are highly adaptive and will thrive working within a rapidly growing team on a rocketship of an organization
- You have strong technical skills; this includes the ability to learn new software programs, create and manipulate reports, and perform database maintenance (huge props for experience with G-suite, Concur, Slack, Zapier, and Monday.com)
- You shine working independently as well as collaboratively on a close-knit “A” team
- You leave your ego at the door and are comfortable trying new ideas, failing, and learning from those mistakes; the mantra “fail forward” speaks deeply and directly to you
- You are not a perfectionist—an 80% solution might be considered too involved for you
What Would Make Us Drool
- Demonstrable experience having built programs or business units from scratch
- MBA, Master’s degree in Marketing, or other related
- Experience breaking new ground, although no hard-hat required
- Cover Letter
- Applications will be reviewed as they are received
XY Planning Network believes that our team members, and the individual identities and experiences of our team members, are our key differentiators. We won't settle for mere acceptance of each other's differences because we maintain that our team is better because of our differences, not in spite of them. As such, our culture celebrates, champions, supports, protects, and thrives on our various and collective identity categories. XYPN is beyond proud to be an equal opportunity employer.